<$BlogRSDUrl$>
soft hands.

because all i do is agree with other people

5.02.2005
seriously. why don't these companies understand that all some of us want is a nice, traditional jersey/shirt that loves our body? are the only patterns out there "potatosack" and "whore?" i'm not even going to get started on the girly colors.


from amy:

Now, if you read the article [about the sox marketing feminine gear] you'll find that a lot of women like it and a lot of women don't. I'm not going to tell anyone they can't wear pink, but I prefer not to. And this entry isn't meant to be a pink debate. It's about why they feel the need to do it. Of course it makes money. But wouldn't regular women's tank tops and player shirts that don't have chokey necks and are cut for people with hips make money too? I'd love it if they'd introduced these first and see how they sell compared to the other colored stuff.

This is the thing: I've done a lot of research lately about the marginalization of female sports fans and how they often have to prove themselves, unfairly, to male fans that they in it for more than butt-ogling. When I was in Florida, I was pretty much asked if I was a groupie. Because I'd have no other reason to attend spring training, right? I'm not going to get on my high horse, I promise I'm not, but it's not always easy to be a female sports fan. For every guy who thinks it makes you hot, there's one who is intimidated by it, another who won't take your opinion seriously, and another who can't get past treating you like a novelty. Sometimes you DO have more to prove.

But when it comes right down to it, it was my mother who taught me baseball and football and I didn't think it was weird at the time. (Sorry the Braves didn't stick.) Sports is supposed to unite us as fans, not divide among gender lines. There's a great quote in the article from a sports and marketing professor, Jacquelyn Cuneen: "I am not at all sure why teams believe they have to 'genderize' clothing. Fans buy items such as jerseys and T-shirts . . . to demonstrate they identify with the team, and the team is dressed in their signature colors and logos, not in tangerine and sea mist."
10:16 PM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

lupe! :: permalink